Sunday, August 1, 2010

Taking Off

I think that I must have been either tired beyond my memory or in a time warp. The 5 and 1/2 hour flight from Honolulu to Seattle went by in what felt like a couple of hours. We almost lost our flight as we munched on veggie burgers in the terminal. I think we were just so relaxed, after racing through the last days getting ready to leave, or maybe we were asleep! On board, I met my seat neighbors. Chris and Sandy. We started talking because he commented that the woman weaving her way down the aisle was "wasted." I felt it was my social responsibility to point out to him that I believed that in fact the woman had cerebral palsy. Chastened, he started up conversation about all the faux pas people make! Turns out he and his wife were on their way home to Washington from their Honeymoon, in Fiji. They had a blast. I asked them how they met and sat back to listen. "We met in a video rental store...he had just been stood up by a girl, and I was with a guy friend of mine..I was in the Navy at that time, Chris thought he was my boyfriend. Anyway, we talked about our favorite movies, ended up going out to dinner with a bunch of us, then we went to a movie..."Saw 3." By then we both knew and started dating a few days later." Four years later, we got married." They were a cute couple. They asked me how long we had been married. When I said almost 25 their eyes widened and mouths opened. "Oh my gosh, how did you do it?" I told them the one basic truth that I knew. "Love lasts...being in love sometimes doesn't. Just be willing to wait! So many people run away at the point were they think they are not in love anymore, if you just wait a few days, a week, maybe a month...it will come back. It is there!" They smiled and at that moment the woman in front of them said hello and mentioned that she heard they were from Lynwood, and so was she. The sun was setting, and the colors outside of the window were a rainbow of warmth. I settled back in my chair, smiled and Carl and Kaera and we began our decent into Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment